Grow Newsdesk | May 13, 2020 | 1
Recipe Of The Month: Flourless Chocolate Cake With A Hit Of Coffee
Get your chocolate fix with this super-moreish flourless chocolate cake, a firm favourite for birthdays at Grow HQ.
Servings: 10 Servings
Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins plus cooling
Flourless Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 200 g unsalted butter , plus extra for greasing
- 200 g dark chocolate (70%)
- 1 tablespoon strong coffee
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 250 g golden caster sugar
- 70 g cocoa powder , plus extra for dusting
- Mixed berries (such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries)
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF/gas 3. Grease a 20cm springform cake tin with a little butter and line with greaseproof paper.
- Rest a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water on a medium-low heat. Break in the chocolate, roughly chop and add the butter, then allow to melt, stirring occasionally until smooth and glossy.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the heat, stir in the coffee and set aside to cool slightly.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites between two large bowls. Whisk the egg whites for 1 to 2 minutes, or until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar to the yolks and beat for 7 minutes, or until pale. Sift in the cocoa powder and 1 pinch of sea salt, then gently fold through to combine.
- Stir in the melted chocolate mixture, then gently fold through the egg whites until smooth.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and place in the hot oven for around 1 hour, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack, then serve with a dusting of cocoa powder and fresh berries.
Did you know…
- Dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients that can positively affect your health.
- Made from the seed of the cocoa tree, dark chocolate is one of the best sources of antioxidants on the planet.
Want more recipe-spiration? Check out our recipe for Som Tam (Thai Green Papaya Salad).