Exeter Northcott Theatre Launches New Autumn/Winter Season
Exeter Northcott Theatre launches its new Autumn/Winter Season programme for the Northcott and Barnfield Theatre, which runs up to the start of next year, including:
- Improvisational geniuses at play in An Improbable Musical.
- The award-winning stage adaptation of Malorie Blackman’s best-selling book series Noughts & Crosses.
- South West-based productions Hags and Richard the Second at the city-centre Barnfield.
- The Northcott and Le Navet Bete collaborating for new family Christmas show Robin Hood.
A hilarious musical created in front of your eyes
Leading UK comedians Josie Lawrence, Niall Ashdown and Ruth Bratt piece together a hilarious musical in real time.
An Improbable Musical (26 September – 1 October) promises to be a once in a lifetime comedy experience – the performers throw predictability out the window and tailor their antics to each night’s audience.
Star-crossed lovers in a powerful, award-winning production
Noughts & Crosses (4 – 8 October) is a suspenseful and stylish drama with shades of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, adapted by playwright Sabrina Mahfouz from Malorie Blackman’s celebrated novel about young lovers navigating a racially segregated society.
Winner of UK Theatre Excellence in Touring Award.
Stories told with a twist: new productions by South West companies at the Barnfield
Hags: A Magical Extravaganza (5 October) is a heart-felt historical rebuttal that rediscovers the stories of witch-accused women in 17th century North Devon.
Exeter’s Scratchworks Theatre bring these stories to life at the Barnfield through a unique hybrid performance of live music, physical comedy, puppetry and stage magic.
Hags is one of several new shows produced by local theatre companies at the Barnfield this season as the Northcott begins to unlock the potential of this much-loved building.
At the venue later in October, South West-based Tangle Theatre reconceive Shakespeare’s study of political intrigue Richard the Second (28 October) through a Southern African Township lens, performed with a live Zimbabwean musical score.
Festive treats for the whole family
Robin Hood (9 December 2022 – 7 January 2023) is a fresh take on a festive favourite; all ages will enjoy the hilarious hijinks of this legendary outlaw and his band of merry men this Christmas.
This panto adventure is directed by the Northcott’s Artistic Director Daniel Buckroyd and stars Le Navet Bete alongside an extended cast.
Le Navet Bete are also bringing their madcap comedy Dracula: The Bloody Truth (26 – 28 October) to the Northcott this Halloween.
Younger audiences will enjoy Room on the Broom (29 – 30 October), the Olivier Award-nominated stage adaptation of Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler’s much-loved children’s picture book.
Also coming up this season:
Acclaimed Australian choreographer Lewis Major brings mesmerising double-bill Unfolding and Satori (20 September) to the Northcott during his company’s first UK tour, Jasmin Vardimon Company innovatively re-imagine Lewis Carroll’s Alice In Wonderland (11 – 12 October) and Mi Flamenco stage Spanish dance and live music saga Echoes (25 November) at the Barnfield.
English Touring Opera return to the Northcott with a trio of Handel classics Ottone (9 November), Agrippina (11 November) and Tamerlano (12 November).
The Northcott is also hosting first-rate stand-up comedy from Maisie Adam (2 October), Nick Helm (13 October) and Jenny Éclair (20 October), live music from The James Taylor Quartet (14 September), Ralph McTell (14 October), The Pasadena Roof Orchestra (21 October) and the Julie July Band (30 September), and thought-provoking talks by Saba Douglas-Hamilton (21 September), Simon Weston (18 October) and Lucy Cooke (15 November). The Wilderland Wildlife Film Festival is also returning to the Northcott with its 2022 Official Selection showcase.
Tickets for these events and many more are now on sale via exeternorthcott.co.uk or 01392 72 63 63.
Northcott Theatre offers audiences several ways to save on tickets, including its free U26 membership scheme for anyone under the age of 26, annual memberships that offer priority booking and 20% off tickets for participating shows, and green matinees, daytime performances that are priced cheaper to encourage car-free visitors.
For more information about the Northcott’s saving offers, please visit: exeternorthcott.co.uk/your-visit/booking-info/great-savings/
Full list of events at Exeter Northcott Theatre:
- Tue 30 – Wed 31 Brainiac Live: Remixed!
- Sat 10 – Sun 11 Dawn French is a Huge Twat
- Wed 14 JTQ – James Taylor Quartet
- Fri 16 Lost in Music: One Night at the Disco
- Tue 20 Lewis Major Projects – Unfolding/Satori
- Wed 21 Saba Douglas-Hamilton: In the Footsteps of Elephants
- Fri 23 – Sat 24 Crimes on Centre Court
- Mon 26 – Sat 1 Oct An Improbable Musical
- Sun 2 Maisie Adam – Buzzed
- Tue 4 – Sat 8 Noughts & Crosses
- Tue 11 – Wed 12 Jasmin Vardimon Company – ALICE
- Thu 13 Nick Helm: What Have We Become?
- Fri 14 Ralph McTell: Hill of Beans
- Sat 15 80’s Live
- Sun 16 Chance to Dance
- Tue 18 An Evening with Simon Weston CBE
- Wed 19 Wilderland Wildlife Film Festival
- Thu 20 Jenny Eclair: Sixty! (FFS!)
- Fri 21 The Pasadena Roof Orchestra
- Sat 22 Beyond the Barricade
- Sun 23 Black is the Color of my Voice
- Tue 25 The Amazing Bubble Man
- Wed 26 – Fri 28 Dracula: The Bloody Truth
- Sat 29 – Sun 30 Room on the Broom
- Wed 2 – Sat 5 Macbeth
- Wed 9 – Sat 12 English Touring Opera
- Tue 15 Lucy Cooke: Bitch!
- Wed 16 – Sat 19 Friendsical
- Tue 22 – Sat 26 Exeter Musical Society: Shrek the Musical
- Fri 9 – Sat 7 Jan Robin Hood
Full list of events at the Barnfield Theatre:
- Sun 11 The Story of Us festival
- Sat 17 The Comedy Store
- Fri 30 Julie July Band – The Sandy Denny Experience
- Sat 1 Paul Foot: Swan Power
- Wed 5 Hags: A Magical Extravaganza
- Tue 11 – Sat 15 St David’s Players: HMS Pinafore
- Fri 28 Richard the Second
- Sat 19 The Comedy Store
- Fri 25 Mi Flamenco: Echoes
- Sat 26 Anthos Arts: Around the World in Eighty Days
- Thu 8 Take A Chance On Us ABBA Tribute – The Ultimate ABBA Party!
- Sun 11 Wonder Pantomimes: Dick Whittington
- Thu 22 – Sat 7 Jan Exeter Little Theatre Company: Sleeping Beauty
Full list of events at the University of Exeter’s Great Hall:
Sat 22 Big Noise Chorus