JOHN LEWIS & WAITROSE LAUNCH SOFT TOY DESIGN COMPETITION TO RAISE MONEY FOR THE NHS
- Children of Britain invited to share their designs to create a ‘super-bear’ cuddly toy using #DesignYourSuperBear to be sold at Christmas – with 100% of the profits going to the NHS
- This marks the start of The Partnership’s ‘Feel Good Friday’ campaign, designed to bring the nation together in a time of isolation
John Lewis and Waitrose are today launching a soft toy design competition for children around the UK to raise critical funds for the NHS.
With homeschooling recommencing across the nation, the retailer is inviting children (and adults) to create and share their designs for a ‘super-bear’ cuddly toy that celebrates the spirit and fortitude of the fearless men and women working on the frontline during the Covid-19 crisis.
The winning design will be turned into an exclusive Christmas toy and sold by Waitrose and John Lewis from October, following in the footsteps of a number of beloved characters from the retailer.
To enter your kid’s design, either email a picture of the design or send a picture in the post to either John Lewis or Waitrose, or share an image of the design on Instagram or Twitter, using the hashtag #DesignYourSuperBear and tag the relevant John Lewis and Waitrose handles.
Martin George, Marketing Director for the John Lewis Partnership, comments:
“The acts of gratitude demonstrated by the public towards frontline workers, from the thousands of “thank you” pictures to Thursday evening clapping, shows how deep our nation’s love for the NHS goes. We’ve already been supporting the NHS and critical workers in a number of ways, but we want to make a lasting contribution that demonstrates our appreciation for those who are on the front line.
“We hope this competition will help inspire the nation’s children to put pencil to paper and encourage many to submit their creations, while helping us give something back to our wonderful National Health Service and frontline workers.”
The competition, which launches on April 24, marks the start of the ‘Feel Good Friday’ campaign, designed to bring the nation together in a time of isolation.
Every Friday, Waitrose & John Lewis will focus on one skill or pastime, all in service of helping people enjoy a shared interest, learn something new and creating stronger relationships within local communities.
Working with Partners, celebrity experts, a range of charities and the NHS, this will include everything from gardening, arts and crafts, mindfulness, to baking and fitness.
This follows a number of initiatives already launched by the John Lewis Partnership to support critical emergency workers during this time, from setting aside a proportion of hard-to-find and everyday essential items during periods of low stock and opening dedicated tills, to installing a wellbeing area for medical staff and volunteers at the Nightingale NHS Hospital in London.
- For children to enter this competition, they must ask an adult over the age of 18 to enter on their behalf. This competition is open to UK residents aged 18 or over with an email address, Twitter or Instagram account.
- The winner’s design will be manufactured and sold by John Lewis and Partners and Waitrose and Partners in Q4 2020.
- The Prize carries no cash value, is non-transferable and may not be substituted by the winner.
- For kids to enter the competition, they will need to ask an adult over the age of 18 to enter via email or via Instagram or Twitter on their behalf. Participants must send a design of a toy via email or post a design of a toy using the hashtag #DesignYourSuperBear on Instagram or Twitter.
- Participants may enter the Prize Draw once per Instagram or Twitter account.
- Post: John Lewis plc, 171 Victoria Street, London, SW1E 5NN
- There will be only one winner of the competition.
- The winner of the Prize will be the design selected by the John Lewis and Partners and Waitrose and Partners Instagram and Twitter communities. There will be a shortlist process prior to this, which will be judged by a panel of experts.
- The winners of the Prize will be notified by @JohnLewisAndPartners via a direct message on Instagram or Twitter using the Instagram or Twitter name used at the time of entry. Alternatively the winner may also be contacted via email if entered via email.