This Business Start Up Course is for early-start businesses and you need to have either registered with Companies House or HMRC within the last 12 months to be eligible to attend.
Our free, two day start up course will take you through the complete business planning process to give your business the best chance of success. The course is run by one of our highly experienced business advisors who has a wealth of knowledge across a huge variety of business stages and sectors. They know exactly what it takes to develop a successful and sustainable business.
It is run over two full days and the numbers are limited to ensure that the standard of teaching is kept high and that there is enough time for individual tuition.
1. Knowing Your Business
The first session will be getting to know your business and finances as well as how to start putting together a business plan.
• Self-employed vs limited company
• Your personal financial requirements and budget.
• Carrying out a SWOT analysis to understand about your business and your competitors.
• How to price your products or services.
• Your business goals and how to avoid potential pitfalls.
2. Marketing Your Business
This session will focus on helping you to develop an effective marketing plan as well as setting prices for your products and services.
• How to carry out effective market research and interpreting the results.
• Identifying your target audience.
• Understanding the basics of a marketing and sales plan.
• Marketing strategies to attract customers.
3. Financial Fundamentals
The third session is all about finances. You’ll get guidance on how to successfully manage your finances and importantly, how to make a profit.
• Developing financial confidence and understanding terminology.
• How to prepare financial forecasts and business plan.
• Calculating business income and expenditure.
• Understanding the difference between profit and cash flow.
• Funding options for your business including how to apply for loans and grants.
4. Practical Business
This final session will arm you with a comprehensive plan of action. You’ll look at the practicalities of running your own business as well as the boring but vital legal stuff.
• Understanding how to prepare and organise tax returns.
• How and when you have to register for VAT.
• Business premises.
• Business insurance.
• The basics of becoming an employer.
• Finalising your business planning.