Grow Exeter | Apr 17, 2019 | 0
The End of Feed in Tariff – A New Dawn for Solar PV
The much criticised and arguably unhelpful ending of the Feed in Tariff (FiT) has turned the sector inside out. An interesting by-product has been a huge upsurge in uptake of Solar PV.
Beco have never been so busy with solar installation work. Whilst many projects are coming to the fore as the FiT finish line of 31/3 comes into focus; the increased debate and media attention has brought solar power from the bottom of the in tray to the top.
So why is the end of FiT not an obstacle? For many years, the industry has seen the levers for Solar PV moving away from an argument of income to a basis of savings. Whereas once the generous Feed in Tariff was just cause to
install, today system pay back is achieved in shorter order simply by offsetting energy spend.
The cost of installing Solar has dropped over 60% in the last five years making the capital investment a fraction of historical costs and when offset against alarming energy price increases, it is not hard to understand why so many businesses are keen to install.
If you are one of the unfortunates facing a 20% increase on your energy bills when coming off a fixed rate deal, you will join the many who are now going beyond a call to the energy broker. The movement away from fossil fuels, the drive to reduce consumption, carbon footprint and also boost CSR credentials (Corporate, Social, Responsibility) have all contributed towards a sustained shift to cleaner, sustainable energy.
So yes, we are entitled to demand a coherent energy policy from government (experts anticipate a system of payment for exported energy will be the successor to FiT). However, the post FiT dawn is already shining very bright.
As in so many areas, the need to effect urgent change has been achieved in spite of government policy, not as a result of it…
- Protect against rising energy prices
- Benefit from reduction in capital costs on installs
- Secure power for your business’ future
- Reduce grid dependence and brown energy consumption
- Reduce energy spend
- Shrink your Carbon Footprint
- Do something good for the planet and future generations
- Boost your business’ CSR profile
- Don’t allow your competitor to beat you to all these advantages which improve profitability, efficiency and environment.
- Speak to Beco about how Solar PV can work in your business and how if certain criteria are met, FiT may be accessible beyond 31/3.